This guide tells you how to use the new UKNI marking in Northern Ireland. There is a separate guide for placing goods on the market in Great Britain where the UKCA marking must be used.



What is the UKNI marking?

The UKNI marking is a new conformity marking for products placed on the market in Northern Ireland (NI) which have undergone mandatory third-party conformity assessment by a body based in the UK.

The UKNI marking is not used if you are able to self-declare your goods are compliant, under the relevant EU legislation that applies in NI, or if you use an EU Notified Body for any mandatory conformity assessment/testing. In these cases, you can still use the CE marking to place goods on the Northern Ireland market. Further guidance on placing goods on the Northern Ireland market is available here.

This guidance explains how to use the marking and the changes to conformity assessment.

The conformity assessment process covered in this step-by-step guide does not apply to goods in the following categories: medical devices, rail interoperability products, construction products and civil explosives.



Ensure your business has taken the necessary steps:

Step 1:

Check if your product requires the UKNI marking

The UKNI marking is a new conformity marking for products placed on the market in Northern Ireland which have undergone mandatory third-party conformity assessment by a body based in the UK. It is always applied with the CE marking.

The list below outlines those products which will require a UKNI marking. You can check here or in the product legislation to check whether your product requires a UKNI marking.

Aerosoles, Appliances burning gaseous fuels, Cableway installations designed to carry persons, Certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment, Eco-design of energy related products, Electromagnetic compatibility, Equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres, Hot-water boilers, Household refrigerators and freezers, Lifts, Low voltage electrical equipment, Machinery, Measuring instruments, Noise emission in the environment, Non-automatic weighing instruments, Personal protective equipment, Pressure equipment, Pyrotechnics, Radio and telecommunications terminal equipment, Recreational craft and personal watercraft Safety of toys, Simple pressure vessels.

Step 2: Check if you need third party conformity assessment

Find out whether you need to self-declare or use a third-party conformity assessment. Identify the applicable EU legislation or harmonised standards and use this to identify the conformity assessment procedure. required for your product.

Third party conformity assessment applies where:

  • you are placing certain goods (mostly those goods subject to the CE marking and aerosol containers) on the NI market.
  • third party conformity assessment is mandatory.If you self-declare or your conformity assessment is carried out by an EU Notified Body, you do not need to add the UKNI marking and must continue using the CE marking when placing goods on the market in NI.

Step 3: Check the appropriate route for conformity

You should determine the appropriate route for your conformity marking.

  • If you are using a UK Notified Body, you need to apply a UKNI marking, in addition to the CE marking i.e. CE + UKNI.
  • If you use an EU recognised Notified Body, you only need to apply the CE marking.
  • If you intend to place the good on both the NI and EU markets, you must use the CE marking and a EU recognised Notified Body, as the UKNI marking and conformity assessment by UK based Notified Bodies are not valid in the EU.
  • Where third party conformity assessment is mandatory, you will need a certificate of conformity issued by a UK or EU Notified body if you are placing the product on the NI market.You can locate your chosen conformity assessment body online:For EU Notified Bodies, use the New Approach Notified and Designated Organisations (NANDO) website.For UK Notified Bodies, use the UK Market Conformity Assessment Bodies (UKMCAB) database.
 Step 4: Draft technical file

To be certified to use the UKNI mark you must keep documentation which demonstrates your product conforms with the regulatory requirements. This should be kept in the form of a technical file or document.

The legislation sets out the conformity assessment procedure that needs to be carried out for your product. You must draw up and keep technical documentation which contains all relevant information about the means you use to ensure that your product meets the essential requirements.

The procedure for drafting and compiling the technical file is the same as before.

The contents of the EU technical file vary depending on the product, however, the technical documentation should include all relevant data / information or details of the means used by the manufacturer to ensure the product meets the essential requirements.

Refer to the relevant EU legislation if applicable, for a full list of requirements for the technical file.

It is the responsibility of the manufacturer, or the authorised representative (established within NI or EU), to demonstrate to enforcement authorities where and how the various parts of the document are held and maintained. For imported products, the importer takes on this responsibility.

Step 5: Draft the Declaration of Conformity

As a manufacturer, it is your responsibility to draw up an EU Declaration of Conformity. Minimally, your EU Declaration of Conformity should contain the following information:

  • Your name and full business address or that of your authorised representative (authorised representative must be based in the NI or the EU for goods placed on the market in NI).
  • The product’s serial number/model/type identification.
  • A statement, stating you take full responsibility (to be completed once the products have positive conformity assessment).
  • For some products you are required to include a product description/image.
  • The details of the conformity assessment body which will be carrying out the conformity assessment procedure (refer to step 2 for appropriate conformity assessment body for your chosen market).
  • The relevant EU legislation.
  • If applicable list the Harmonised Standards or other means used to prove compliance.
  • Your name and signature
  • The date the declaration was issued.
  • Supplementary information (if applicable).The EU Declaration of Conformity should be available to market surveillance authorities upon request.
    For products that are placed on the NI market from any country outside the EU/EEA, the NI or EU-based importer must retain a copy of the EU Declaration of Conformity. This includes products brought into NI from Great Britain, as Great Britain is treated as third country under the relevant EU legislation that applies in NI. The manufacturer or their authorised representative (where applicable) must also retain a copy of the EU Declaration of Conformity.

Step 6: Positive certificate of conformity

Your chosen Notified Body will perform the necessary checks and tests for your products.

If your products pass and adhere to all the necessary requirements, your chosen conformity assessment body will issue you with a certificate of conformity.

Once you have received a positive third-party conformity assessment and a certificate of conformity issued by your conformity assessment body, you should:

Sign the draft declaration of conformity.
• Signing declares that the products concerned satisfy the relevant legislative requirements and you as the manufacturer or authorised representative (where applicable) accept responsibility for the compliance of the product.

You must affix the UKNI marking and the Notified Body identification number to the product.

Step 7: Affix the UKNI marking


The UKNI marking may not be affixed until the conformity assessment procedure has been completed.

As a manufacturer or authorised representative, you must place the UKNI marking on the product itself or to the packaging, depending on the requirements of the relevant sector- specific legislation.

The legislation may also specify that the UKNI marking must be applied to supporting literature.

See ‘Rules for using the UKNI’ marking here UKNI marking The UKNI mark image files can be found below:
Download UKNI mark image files (fill) (ZIP, 818KB)

Download UKNI mark image files (outline) (ZIP, 2.03MB)

When attaching the CE marking, you as the manufacturer or authorised representative take full responsibility for your product’s conformity with the requirements of the relevant EU legislation. By adding the UKNI marking, it is a sign that you have used a UK based notified body and the product can only be placed on the NI market, and cannot be lawfully placed on the EU/EEA market.

Qualifying Northern Ireland goods can be placed on the market in Great Britain using the CE + UKNI marking or just the CE marking. This is because of the Government’s commitments to ensure Northern Ireland’s unfettered access to the rest of the UK. Further guidance on whether your business or your goods qualify can be found here.

There are no easements (e.g.) regarding the UKNI marking, full compliance is required now. Where EU law requires you must apply CE + UKNI to your product you must do so immediately, and there is no option to affix the marking to a label or separate document.

UNKI marking




Annex A

EU Directive

Corresponding UK legislation

Toy Safety – Directive 2009/48/EC

Toys (Safety) Regulations 2011

Pyrotechnic Articles – Directive 2013/29/EU

Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015

Recreational craft and personal watercraft – Directive 2013/53/EU

Recreational Craft Regulations 2017

Civil Explosives – Directive 2014/28/EU

Explosives Regulations 2014

Simple Pressure Vessels – Directive 2014/29/EU

Simple Pressure Vessels (Safety) Regulations 2016

Electromagnetic Compatibility – Directive 2014/30/EU

Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2016

Non-automatic Weighing Instruments – Directive 2014/31/EU

Non-automatic Weighing Instruments Regulations 2016

Measuring Instruments – Directive 2014/32/EU

Measuring Instruments Regulations 2016

Lifts – Directive 2014/33/EU

Lifts Regulations 2016

ATEX – Directive 2014/34/EU

Equipment and Protective Systems Intended for use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2016 The Equipment and Protective Systems Intended for Use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2017.

Radio equipment – Directive 2014/53/EU

Radio Equipment Regulations 2017

Pressure equipment – Directive 2014/68/EU

Pressure Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016

Personal protective equipment – Regulation (EU) 2016/425

Personal Protective Equipment Regulation 2016/425 and the Personal Protective Equipment (Enforcement) Regulations 2018

Gas appliances – Regulation (EU) 2016/426

Gas Appliances Regulation 2016/426 and the Gas Appliances (Enforcement) and Miscellaneous Amendments Regulations 2018

Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC

Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008

Outdoor Noise Directive 2000/14/EC

Noise Emission in the Environment by Equipment for use Outdoors Regulations 2001

Directive 2008/57/EC interoperability of the rail system within the Community

Railways (Interoperability) Regulations 2011

“Directive 92/42/EEC hot-water boilers AND Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC”

The Ecodesign for Energy-Related Products and Energy Information (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2010

Cableway installations – Regulation (EU) 2016/424

Cableway Installations Regulations 2018

Marine Equipment – Directive 2014/90/EU

Merchant Shipping (Marine Equipment) Regulations 2016

Construction products – Regulation (EU) No 305/2011

The Construction Products Regulation (EU) 2011 (EU Regulation No. 305/2011)

Transportable pressure equipment – Directive 2010/35/EU

The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009

Annex B

Economic Operator changes Since 1 January 2021


  • Since 1 January 2021, you will be considered an importer if you are responsible for bringing goods into the UK from outside the UK and placing them on the market in Great Britain.
  • The importer may also need to indicate their name and address on the product or documentation, keep a copy of the declaration of conformity, and ensure the technical documentation can be made available to enforcing authorities upon request.

    Authorised Representatives

  • Manufacturers can appoint Authorised Representatives to carry out tasks on their behalf.
  • Generally, the appointment of an authorised representative is optional for UKCA or CE marked goods.

    The exact requirements for the economic operators depend on the legislation that applies to your product. The specific guidance products at the below link include detailed guidance on how you can comply with importer address labelling obligations between 1 January 2021 and 31 December 2022: january-2021-great-britain.

    Generally, products must be compliant at the point at which they are placed on the GB market. If you intend to bring products that are not yet labelled correctly into the country and wish to discuss this from a practical compliance and enforcement point of view, we encourage you to discuss with the relevant local market surveillance authority where the goods are brought into the UK.

Annex C


The manufacturer is anyone manufactures a product or has a product designed or manufactured and markets that product under its name or trademark.


The importer is a person who is the first to place goods from an external market onto the market that they are established and operate in.


The distributor is a person, other than the manufacturer, importer or the end user, who makes goods available on the market.

Placing on the market

Placing on the market is defined as the “first making available on the market” (by
the manufacturer or the importer). The concept of placing on the market refers to each individual good, not to a type of good and does not necessarily involve the physical transfer of the good (i.e. a product may be stockpiled).