W Nicholson & Co Ltd
The Nicholson family began distilling gin in Clerkenwell, London, in 1736 and became one of the great distillers of the Victorian age, pioneering the London Dry Gin style. In 1872 William Nicholson acquired the Three Mills site in Bow, much of which can still be seen today, to meet increasing demand for Nicholson Gin from all corners of the world. In the 1920’s and 30’s Nicholson Gin was heralded as an essential ingredient of many cocktails at the best watering holes in London, Paris and New York, and was included in The Waldorf Astoria Bar Book, Harry’s ABC of Mixing Cocktails and the Savoy Cocktail Book. The business was sold in the 1980’s but revived by direct descendants of the founding family in 2016 with the production of Nicholson Original, a classic London Dry Gin distilled in London in small batches to the original family recipe.
|Established:||1736 (but revived in 2016)|
|Address:||1, Heathcote Gate|
|Telephone:||0203 010 1001|