Botanicals and Boffins – Where science meets art
What improvements can be made to gin by the technical application of science and the latest research?
- What improvements can be made to Processes?
- What can we measure in order to ensure our activities remain significant?
- Material Intake and Control
- Standardised Procedure /Process Control
- Botanical Selection and Recipe Formulation
- How best to measure and control what goes on in your still?
- Collected data is hugely powerful
- Can be used passively to monitor values for record keeping
- Can also be used to control the system within a set parameter.
- Ascertain the chemical constituents of each botanical by distilling them in isolation at gin recipe concentrations.
- Analyse the interplay of botanicals with juniper.
- Use the chemicals found in the botanicals as a shopping list to find the same and similar in new botanicals.
- Build complexity.
Matthew Pauley BSc (Hons)
International Centre for Brewing and Distilling
School of Engineering and Physical Sciences
John Muir Building G2
Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS Scotland, UK